Wednesday, June 25, 2008

How I learned to cook Stew

For all of you who have been blessed to eat my mouth watering cooking you all need to thank the 2nd man in my life. Please understand that I have always been a rebel, my mother is a good African woman and tried to instill good values I was just rejecting them early in life.. Growing up my mother had to force me to assist her in the kitchen. From cutting okra, to cleaning the meat I hated it.... with a passion. I would just tell her that cooking makes your hands look funny. And I wanted to maintain the beauty of my hands(VANITY). So, when I met my African man he was used to eba, okra soup, goat meat....
Me on the other hand had not ventured out and prepared such meals on my own. So after about a year of eating out and avoiding to cook I was pushed in a corner to show my good wife skills. Keep in mind all this time he thinks that I can cook. All my excuses of not cooking in a mans house and my lack of of time were fading. So one morning before he went to work he called me and said that he really wanted stew and hen. That I should either cook it at home and bring it or come over and cook. Money for the ingredients will be on his table. What could I say? I just agreed. I mean really how hard was it to cook. I have assisted to cook this dish many times.

So off to the store... knorr cubes, fresh tomatoes, peppers, canola oil, curry powder....

Got to his house forgot the hen... back to the store...hen, onion....

So now I am in the kitchen trying to remember the process. I only had to call my mom once to ask her how long the tomato should fry. Of course I had to lie and say that I was cooking stew for one of my American girlfriends because she would definitely not approve of me cooking in a mans house. At the end of the day I cooked stew on my own. I have to say that is was very tasty. I know, I know I would be a little partial but my African man ate it with speed. This started a trend of requests to cook African dishes that I never cooked before. Through trial and error I have become the great cook that I am. So I want to thank that once very special African man. Without you I would still be looking around for someone to help me cook stew, egusi, edikiakong....
For those of you who have always wanted to know how to cook that our famous Akwa Ibom/Cross River dish here is a recipe I found online at africanfood.com. Don't hold me responsible if it does not come out to your liking. Only a true AkwaIbomite can make this dish good enough to make all the men come a running:)


What you need
Ugu Leaves (subsitute Spinach) -- 2 Heads (2 standard Packages of Spinach)Waterleaf -- 2 HeadsCrayfish -- 1 Cup(Dried Fish -- 1 MediumGiant Snails (escargo) -- 4Beef or Goat Meat -- 1.5lbsKpomo* -- 1 lbPalm Oil -- 1.5 cupsOnions -- 1 Whole LargePepper -- 6 to 10 fresh hot or to tasteSeasoning -- 1 or 2 cubes of beef stockSalt -- about 2 teaspoons (use discretion
Preparation:
If necessary wash the ugu leaves. Pluck the leaves from the stem. Discard the stems. Collate and chop the leaves into thin (1/4 inch) slices. Set aside. Do same with waterleaves. Blend crayfish into coase powder using electric grinder. If african giant snails are available prepare them by cleaning the meat by rubbing with lemon or soaking and massaging in vineger until all slime is gone and meat is gritty to the touch. Canned escargo is a poor substitute for african giant snails. another substitute for snail may be scallops or any other sea mullusk. However, if any of these are not available, this part of the recipe may be omitted altogether. Break up the dried fish in a bowl pour in boiling water, add about 2 spoon heaps of salt. Wash the fish in the hot salt water to remove sand and other dirt. Remove fish from salt water and set aside. Grind peppers to a paste. Set aside.*Traditionally, kpomo or hide of beef, is also added when preparing Edikaikong soup.
The Cooking:In a medium sized covered pot, bring all meats (beef, kpomo) but not snails to steam without adding water. Add beef stock seasoning, 1/4 cup of water and salt, and cook till meat is tender (5 to 15 minutes). Add waterleaves to meat and beef stock. Stir. Add the crayfish, stir and let boil until most liquid in the pot evapourates. Add the snails at this stage so that it will cook just right. Over-cooked snails are leathery, cooked just right, the snails are crunchy and easy to chew. Add pepper and salt. Stir. Add the ugu or spinach, stir and allow to boil over (about one minute). Add the palm oil, stir and let boil for five more minutes. Turn off heat and serve. Should be able to feed four adults.
DON'T FORGET THE FUFU:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sure I can cook. I just don't have the patience! However, I like to try new recipes so thanks for the one you have provided!