Monday, October 20, 2008

Acceptable forms of punishment

We had a guess speaker this week. Prosecutor John Sinquefield. Nicknamed “Dr. Death” He was the prosecutor in the Dericck Todd Lee case back in 2004. He was an African American serial killer (and you all say that “black folks” don’t do such crimes”). We also heard from Tony Clayton the state attorney who only prosecuted him for 2nd Degree murder because he could not prove any underlying felonies that are needed to commit for 1st degree murder. Dr. Death of course wanted him to be put to death for the killings of at least 6 women. Should he deserve to live for such a heinous crimes?

Before I started high school I would hear about people being put to death and feel so adamantly that this is not right. At all. I would right on the bottom of my assignments something like a signature. It would read “why do we kill people, who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?”
Then you grow up a little and you think about all the bad things people do. Should I have a retributism attitude and think “eye for an eye” or should I think that there are other forms of rehabilitation that can help society as a whole?

Now I am just not sure about the death penalty. I have always been told that “leave vengeance to god” which I am still trying to learn to apply in my daily life. So if this is what we as Christians should adopt them why do we need the death penalty?

Not sure, just a food for thought...

No comments: